Confession time, I am tired of organizing! Are you? Let’s take a deep breath and repeat after me…”I can do this”! Today we are going to organize the living room on this the twenty-third day of Organize your Home in 31 days the Frugal Way.
As I look around my living room I see that not one thing was purchased new and a whole lot of things were picked up from the side of the road. For example my carpet, couch, and bookcase. When I look around my home I see God’s provision! Who would have thought that interior design and organization could be a faith building experience? It can, though, just like any area of your life. God cares about you, your family and beauty. What a privilege to be in any room of my home and see how God has met an immediate need for a bed or a refrigerator through the generosity of a friend or family hand me down and even garbage day!
Let’s start off with this question…
What do you use your living room for?
In my case, it needs to have a few functions. I do have a separate family room so that is where we watch movies, read books and play games. We use the living room as a place to read, do school, snuggle, as an entryway to our home, music lessons, as well as family get-togethers and hosting small groups and Bible studies. You have to walk through the living room in my home every time you want to get to the kitchen, dining room, family room, bathroom and mudroom from the upstairs. It is used on a daily basis.
What does your living room need to do? Depending on the purpose of the room, will determine what furniture and storage necessary in the room.
I have a couch, two chairs, a coffee table, bookcase, piano, two side tables, wall sconces and a table lamp, a footstool, and an area rug. We pull chairs from the dining room table when we need more seating.
If you have things in the living room that you don’t need, give it away. If there are items that would be of more use in another room move it to another room. Decluttering is a valuable tool in organizing, remember to take a look at the object and ask yourself if you actually love it or is it useful and most importantly does someone you know need it more than you? Don’t be a hoarder it isn’t good for your soul!
The next step is critical for organizing your home the frugal way.
Don’t go out and immediately
purchase the things you need. Make do, reinvent,
be creative and pray for God to provide.
Here are a few tips to help your living room function well, encourage conversation, and solve organizational problems in a thoughtful manner.
- Arrange furniture in a U shape to facilitate conversation.
- Make sure you have enough lighting for the function of the room.
- Need a coffee table? Use a chest, cut down a dresser or even a round table.
- Consider constructing built in’s out of scrap lumber or even wood pallets.
- Make your own pillows and craft accessories.
- Use nature in your decorating scheme, pick flowers from the side of the road.
- Need a media cabinet? Use an old dresser or put a small bookshelf on its side.
- Can you build something you need from an antique door?
- Look for baskets and bins at the thrift store for the best deal. Large square baskets can be made into a stool by making a padded lid.
- Make your own afghan for cold winter nights or look at garage sales or thrift stores. I have collected a beautiful selection of cream colored afghans, all hand made from the thrift store.
How do you organize the living room?
*This post may contain affiliate links. Thank you for supporting The Peaceful Haven!