Gardening is one of my most enjoyable activities. It is beneficial in so many ways that it is hard to keep count. I garden just because I LOVE it! However, the benefits of gardening are far-reaching. 10 Spring Gardening Tips will save you a lot of money if you do it right. Gardening will provide you with an abundance of exercise and allow you to breathe in fresh air. Walking around barefoot in the garden allows you to soak in the minerals of the earth although I do not recommend digging anything barefoot!
Gardening is a great family activity and children naturally gravitate to it. Make gardening a family project by allowing your children to plant seed indoors, in containers or have them plan their very own garden plot! My daughter Sarah is growing her own melon garden this year. She picked out the seeds, ordered them, prepared the soil, started the seeds indoors and will plant and harvest later. The amount of learning that will take place in that one garden is incredible and the subject matter that she will contemplate is well worth the time spent.
I hope you will enjoy every single moment in the garden this year!
1. Enjoy every single moment in the garden!
2. Dig in compost, composted manure, and Epsom salts into your garden beds. (Check out FREE sources of compost and manure in your area…we have a local high school that offers FREE compost!)
3. Plant spring vegetables. Spring vegetables include peas, lettuce, spinach, potatoes, any leafy greens, bush beans, cauliflower, onions, chard, kale and most root crops.
4. If you are vegetable gardening start sowing spring seeds in succession. (Succession just means not plant all your seeds at one time…for example when planting lettuce just plant a row every week. That way all your lettuce won’t come in at the same time.)
5. Divide perennial plants. Transplant elsewhere in your garden or give extra plants away to friends.
6. If the vegetables or flowers in your garden will need support as they grow, put in the stakes, bamboo poles or trellises now to avoid root disturbances later.
7. Sow annual flower seeds in pots inside and set outside four weeks after the last frost date in your area.
8. Weed! Do a little every single day 🙂 (I find weeding and praying go well together. I can pray for the needs of people all around the world and weed at the same time. That makes weeding much more enjoyable for me!)
9. Walk barefoot in the garden!
10. Trim back any dead stems from Autumn.
Gardening is always enjoyed more when we keep things simple! Check out The Peaceful Haven’s SUMMER garden HERE. I hope each one of you will be able to get out into the LOVELY SPRING weather and enjoy some time in the garden.
What Spring gardening tips do you have?
Janelle Esker is the grateful wife of Michael and homeschooling mother of six amazing children. She lives with her family, 4 cats, 1 dog, 3 ducks and 12 chickens in scenic Ohio. Janelle received her B.A. in Education from Ohio Northern University. She is the author of CHOSEN: One Family’s Journey with Autism.