I have a passion for people with autism. It is driven by my deep love for my daughter Kylie who has autism. It has been my observation over the past 24 years that there is a great deal of confusion out there about the autism spectrum. Kylie and my goal is to give people information to help them better understand people and families with autism.
10 Things I Bet You Didn’t Know About Autism
1. Autism costs a family $60,000 a year on average.
2. Autism affects over 3 million individuals in the United States.
3. About 40% of people on the autism spectrum have an average or above average intellectual abilities.
4. Autism is the fastest growing developmental disorder.
5. If one identical twin is diagnosed with autism, the other twin has about a 90% chance of developing an autistic disorder.
6. Mothers who have autoimmune disease like type 1 diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis and celiac disease have up to three times greater risk for having a child with autism.
7. Autism is more common than childhood cancer.
8. Dogs have been shown to improve autistic children’s quality of life, independence, and safety. The presence of a trained dog can reduce aggressive behavior calm the child and serve as a link to the child’s community.
9. There is no blood test, no scan, and no image that can detect autism. Diagnosis relies on behavioral observation and screening.
10. People on the autism spectrum are affectionate and deeply care about other people. It may not appear that they care but they do!
I hope this list will help you understand autism better.
For the record…Kylie agrees with number 8 on the list and would like everyone with autism in the world to be able to get a dog! (Kylie just asked me to put this in 🙂 )
Order the book…Chosen: One Family’s Journey With Autism
What fact about autism surprised you the most?
*This post may contain affiliate links. Thank you for supporting The Peaceful Haven!